UW School of Nursing
April 28, 2022
Diabetes Update 2020
Diabetes Update 2020 | All Modules
In all practice settings, clinicians are involved in managing care for patients living with diabetes. Staying informed about the latest research and treatment strategies for glycemic control is essential to help patients achieve maximum health and manage complications. Learning methods include video, PDF handout and case study analysis.
For nurses, nurse practitioners, nurse educators, certified diabetes educators, dietitians, nutritionists, pharmacists, social workers, health educators, physical therapists and other healthcare professionals across all settings.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be better able to:
- Understand basics of diabetes and nutrition.
- Identify language frequently used with and about persons with diabetes and understand shifts in language that promote a collaborative relationship with the healthcare professional.
- Identify risk behaviors for adolescents with T1D that are impacted by their diabetes.
- Understand the different types of insulin analogs available and their action profiles.
- Understand the 2020 American Diabetes Association guidelines.
- Understand when and how to de-intensify therapy in the elderly patient.
- Differentiate between different continuous glucose monitoring systems (CGMs).
- Nutrition & Diabetes: Taking Care of the Individual – Karen Conger
- How the Words We Use Matter: Using Nonjudgemental Language – Meredith Cotton
- The Adolescent with Type 1 Diabetes: Unique Challenges and Risks – Alissa Roberts
- Which Insulin is Best?: A Review of Insulin Analogs and Newer Insulins (Rx) – Roini Wadhwani
- Diabetes Drugs: 2020 Update (Rx) – Savitha Subramanian
- De-Intensifying and Individualizing Therapy in an Aging Population – Avantika Waring
- Diabetes Technology Update: Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Systems and Insulin Pump Therapy -Abby Winter and Xenia Averkiou
- Patient Panel Stories – Negin Ebrahimifard.and Sarah Klippel