April 15, 2021
Phone Triage: Advanced Skills Training
As remote care options are utilized by more and more organizations, nurses and other healthcare workers are faced with new challenges in transferring their skills over the phone. This virtual course is an opportunity to gain advanced skills in telephone triage, including de-escalation, working with patients in crisis, and choosing the correct triage protocol. Healthcare professionals are invited to expand their knowledge of evidence-based practices that promote confidence and safe, innovative care through a series of interactive modules designed by phone triage experts.
For nurses and other healthcare professionals who work in ambulatory settings, telephone triage roles, urgent care, and other healthcare settings.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this course, you will be better able to:
- Identify scope of practice for registered, licensed practical and advanced registered nurse practitioners performing telehealth.
- Apply critical thinking and clinical decision-making in telephone triage practice.
- Utilize Motivational interviewing skills to address chronic illness.
- Learn strategies for better documentation as derived from specific medical malpractice cases.
- Identify high-yield opportunities to assess the social determinants of health of patients and develop a systematic assessment process.
- Develop safe and effective strategies for responding to patients in crisis.
- Recognize high-risk considerations in the pediatric population over the phone.
- Identify effective strategies for working with interpreters during phone triage.
- Understand basic functionality of text-based nursing triage systems.
- Recall basics of trauma-informed care and brief interventions in trauma-informed care.
- Nurse Licensure and Telehealth – Paula Meyer, MSN, RN, FRE
- Critical Thinking and Clinical Decision-Making – Kathryn Koehne, DNP, RN-BC
- Interviewing for Behavior Change Over Telehealth – Matt Perez, MD
- Legal Considerations for Telehealth Documentation – Mel Hartley, JD
- Social Determinants of Health: The Critical Role of Nurses in Identifying Needs and Providing Support – John Marrin, DNP, ARNP
- Triage with Patients in Crisis – Kari Lombard, BSN, RN, NCSN
- Building Confidence with Pediatric Telephone Triage – Nicole Ardres, MN, RN, NPD-BC, CPN
- Triage Without Borders: Addressing Language Barriers – Lola Ulvog, RN, MSN, D-ABMDI
- Transitioning to Text-Based Nursing Triage – Jonathan Halldorson, BSN, RN
- Trauma-Informed Care and Interpersonal Violence Interactions via Phone Triage – Katherine Thompson, MCHS, PA-C, FE
- Paula Meyer MSN, RN, FRE, Executive Director, Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission, Washington State Department of Health
- Kathryn Koehne, DNP, RN-BC, Director of Nursing and Operations, Crescent Cove Pediatric Respite Center and Hospice, Minneapolis, MN
- Lola Ulvog, RN, MSN, D-ABMDI , Pediatric and Primary Care RN at Neighborcare Health, Columbia City; Medicolegal Death Investigator, King County Medical Examiner’s Office
- Nicole Ardres, MN, RN, NPD-BC, CPN, Ambulatory Nurse Educator, Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Matt Perez, MD, Site Medical Director, Neighborcare Health at Meridian
- Jonathan Halldorson, BSN, RN, Diabetes Nurse Educator, Kaiser Permanente of Washington; Administrator, Endocrine Days Educational Institute
- Katherine Thompson, MCHS, PA-C, FE, Medical Director, Interpersonal Violence and Sexual Assault, Kaiser Permanente Washington
- Mel Hartley, JD, Health Law Counsel and Deputy General Counsel at Madigan Army Medical Center
- Kari Lombard, BSN, RN, NCSN, DNP-PMHNP Student, Nurse Planner, Continuing Nursing Education, UW School of Nursing
- John Marrin, DNP, ARNP, ARNP Resident, Sea Mar Community Health Centers, Seattle Medical Clinic
Employees from this agencies receive a 5% discount. Please email email@example.com for the coupon code to apply upon checkout.
- UW Medicine / Valley Medical Center
Group Discounts Available
$269 (10% off) for groups of 5-9
$239 (20% off) for groups of 10-14
$179 (40% off) for groups of 15+