April 16, 2022
UW Wound Academy | Pressure Injury
UW Wound Academy
Pressure Injury: A Guide to Prevention
This module focuses on the comprehensive assessment of intact skin, determining risk factors for skin breakdown and strategies for improving tissue tolerance to prevent pressure injury.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this module, you will be better able to:
- Describe evidence-based recommendations for the prevention and treatment of pressure injuries.
- List three intrinsic risk factors for pressure injury development.
- Describe four interventions that maintain and improve tissue tolerance to pressure.
- Discuss four interventions to protect against external mechanical forces.
- Pressure injury: the problem
- Incidence and prevalence
- Pressure injury classification/staging
- NPUAP Pressure Injury Staging System
- Staging and tissue involvement
- Risk factors for skin breakdown: intrinsic and extrinsic
- Prevention guidelines and recommendations
- Skin inspection and assessment
- Maintaining skin health
- Nutritional assessment and support
- Mechanical loading and support surfaces
- Implementing a turning/position schedule
- Interventions to redistribute pressure and reduce friction and shear
- Appropriate use of support surfaces
- Improving clinical outcomes