March 24, 2022
UW Wound Academy | Wound Assessment
UW Wound Academy
This module covers the components of wound assessment and provides interactive opportunities for practicing assessment skills.
Healthcare professionals and other individuals involved in the care, management and treatment of patients with wounds.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this module, you will be better able to:
- Identify general patient health issues which can affect healing.
- Describe a systematic approach to wound assessment.
- Describe how to measure a wound.
- Differentiate types of viable versus non-viable tissue.
- Identify common chronic wound locations.
- Patient assessment factors
- Psychological concerns
- Dimensions and measurement
- Tissue involvement and wound depth
- Tunneling and undermining
- Appearance of the wound base
- Wound edges
- Periwound skin
- Infection in chronic wounds
- Wound exudate
- Wound etiology