UW School of Nursing
March 24, 2022
UW Wound Academy | Diabetic Foot Ulcers
UW Wound Academy
Diabetic Foot Ulcers
This module explores the epidemiology, pathophysiology, assessment and management of the patient with a diabetic foot ulcer (DFU).
Healthcare professionals and other individuals involved in the care, management and treatment of patients with wounds.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this module, you will be better able to:
- List the risk factors linked to DFUs.
- Identify the pathophysiology related to development of a DFU.
- Describe the assessment process for a patient with a DFU.
- Discuss appropriate multidisciplinary management for the patient with a DFU.
- Summarize appropriate education for a patient with a DFU.
- Foot complications
- Risk factors for diabetic foot ulcers (DFUs)
- Sensory neuropathy
- Autonomic neuropathy
- Motor neuropathy and Charcot foot
- Vascular disease
- The Wagner Scale
- Assessment for sensory neuropathy
- Sensory testing
- Assessment for motor neuropathy
- Vascular assessment
- Assessment for infection
- Diabetes control
- Local wound care
- Active dressings
- Hyperbaric oxygen
- Patient education
- Legal issues and standards of care