April 16, 2022
UW Wound Academy | Dressing Selection
UW Wound Academy
This module explores the history, background, science and decision-making issues involved in dressing selection.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this module, you will be better able to:
- Describe the history of wound dressings.
- Describe the different dressing categories.
- Describe a systematic approach to dressing selection.
- Introduction to the challenge of selecting appropriate dressings
- Dressing selection
- Wound dressing–a historical perspective
- Important issues to address prior to dressing selection
- Wound bed preparation and the optimal wound environment
- Dead and devitalized tissue
- Infection and critical colonization
- Moist but not wet
- Cellular dysfunction and biochemical imbalance
- How wound bed preparation aids dressing choice
- A systematic approach to dressing selection
- Mixing dressings
- Overview of products
- The Wound Dressing Selection Model